BRIEF PROFILE OF HIS EXCELLENCY NYESOM EZENWO WIKE CON, GSSRS, POS, GOVERNOR OF RIVERS STATE.
1. Born to the family of Reverend and Mrs. Niemanya Wike of Rumuepirikom community, Rivers State, Nigeria, His Excellency, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike, Governor of Rivers State is a lawyer, an outstanding administrator, politician and a family man.
2. Nyesom Ezenwo Wike hold first degrees in Political Science and Administrative Studies, as well as Law. After a brief stint in private legal practice, Nyesom Wike, yielded to calls to public service and was elected and served twice as the Chairman of Obio / Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers State, between 1999 to 2002 and 2004 to 2007.
3. While in office as Chairman of Obio / Akpor Local Government Council, Governor Wike also served as Deputy President, Association of Local Governments of Nigeria (ALGON) in 2004, and was later elected President of ALGON. He also represented Africa as a member of the Executive Committee of the Commonwealth Local Governments Forum.
4. Between October 26th, 2007 and May 28th, 2011, Governor Nyesom Wike served as the Chief of Staff, Government House, Rivers State, where he brought his wide experience to bear in and added a lot of value to the effective administration of Government House and the State. Till date, he remains the most influential and positively impactful Chief of Staff ever in the Rivers State Government House.
5. On the 14th of July, 2011, Chief Wike was appointed and sworn in as the Honourable Minister of State for Education, where he again, distinguished himself as an astute and passionate administrator. Following a cabinet reshuffle, Governor Wike emerged as the Nation's Supervising Minister of Education on September 12, 2013.
6. In 2015 Nyesom Wike contested and was elected as the Governor of Rivers State with an overwhelming majority of the votes cast. He was reelected in 2019 for his second and final term as Governor of Rivers State.
7. Since May 29th, 2015 Governor Wike has redefined governance, delivering landmark development projects and improving the wellbeing of the people in the critical areas of road infrastructures, education, healthcare, security, sports, rural development, urban renewal and empowerment.
8. Governor Wike's spectacular performance in governance has attracted several national and international awards to him, including the Commander of the Order of Niger (CON) which was conferred on him by President Goodluck Jonathan, the Grand Service Star of Rivers State (GSSRS), the Global Human Settlement Outstanding Contributions Award and, the Power of Sports Award (POS).
9. In addition, Governor Wike has in the last seven years received distinguished service awards and recognitions from over 10 national newspapers and other media outfits as well as several traditional chieftaincy tittles.
10. A devout Christian, disciplined and principled believer in the unity of the nation, justice, equity and inclusive development. Governor Wike is widely acknowledged as a strong personality, not giving to double-speak or politicization of development issues.
11. A committed family man, Governor Wike is happily married to Hon. Justice (Mrs.) Suzzette Nyesom-Wike, a High Court Judge with the Rivers State Judiciary, and blessed with 3 lovely children: Jordan, Joaquin and Jazmyne.
Pastor Paulinus Nsirim,
the Honourable Commissioner for Information,